We almost always have lemons in the house – they’re just one of those items I impulsively swipe up every time we hit the grocery store. They’re so affordable year round, and I love the bright, sunshiny kick their juice and zest add to… well, everything! So naturally, when I discovered we had an absurd amount of lemons sitting around the apartment (19 to be exact!), I immediately knew I had to make you guys some light and lovely lemon cupcakes! It just made sense 😉
For this fun recipe I added lemon juice and zest to the cupcake batter, as well as the buttercream – for a luscious lemon cupcake you’re sure to love! The cupcakes are soft, tender, and a million miles away from dry; the buttercream is light, fluffy, and laced with a perky lemon kick sure to please. We gifted these to our neighbors as well as the folks who run our favorite coffee shop, and it was applause all around – these cupcakes are winners!
I added extra lemon zest to the top of each cupcake before serving – for an extra kick of color and zing – but it’s not a necessary step 😉 Just a fun one! xoxo
Bright lemon flavor packed in soft and tender cupcakes topped with fluffy lemon buttercream sounds as delightful treat. With this Light and Lovely Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream recipe by Baker by Nature you won’t have to worry whether your cupcakes will turn out dry or flavorless, becasue these certainly are not.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I used full fat)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used whole)
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
For the Lemon Buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (very soft)
- 4-5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a 12 mold muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt; mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl combine sour cream, milk, and egg whites; mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat melted butter and sugar on medium speed until well combined; about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and beat for another minute on medium speed. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar combination, beating until just combined. Add in sour cream/milk/egg combo and beat on low until *just combined. Over-mixing will result in a dryer/denser cake.
- Divide the cupcake batter evenly into the 12 molds, then place the pan in the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before topping with frosting.
- To make the Lemon Buttercream:
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Slowly, add 4 cups of sugar, beating on low until well combined. Add in lemon juice, zest, and cream; beat until combined. Add additional confectioners sugar as needed, stopping when you’ve reached your desired consistency. Place frosting in piping bag, or simply slather onto cooled cupcakes.