I loved making breakfast, not only because it gives me a peaceful way to wake up and enjoy my coffee as slowly shake off my catatonic state, but because it is decadently delicious! A hearty breakfast platter including some combination of sausage, eggs, and cheese is the best comfort food to start the day. If you add in southern style sawmill gravy and English muffins you have what may be the best breakfast comfort food ever!
Josh would eat pizza every day for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert if I let him. It is his favorite food and he has already passed his love for pizza on to Caleb. I am sure our baby will be asking for pizza instead of milk soon:)
Josh and Caleb love eating English Muffin Breakfast Pizzas in the morning. It is “their” thing. I usually eat my oatmeal and let the guys enjoy their pizza breakfast! They need their guy time and pizza time!
BREAKFAST PIZZA SAUCE
The most popular comfort food is probably pizza, so it should come as no surprise that my English Muffin Breakfast Pizza is my ideal breakfast comfort food. It is the sawmill gravy ‘pizza sauce’ that really makes this breakfast pizza sing. (Well, the pizza doesn’t really “sing” per se, that would just be creepy. I don’t cook creepy food.)
English Muffin Pizzas are perfect for breakfast because they are so easy to make! You don’t have to make pizza dough from scratch, you just use store bought English muffins for the crust.
When added to a toasted English muffin topped with egg, sausage and cheese, it almost tastes buttery. If you are not comfortable making a perfect batch of sawmill gravy yourself, “how to make sawmill gravy” for detailed instructions so you can nail it on the first try! If you want to cheat and buy sawmill gravy, or use a mix packet, that is fine too.
Josh and Caleb love topping their pizzas with scrambled eggs, cheese, and of course bacon! That is their favorite part! Josh likes to use Butterball’s turkey bacon to keep the pizzas on the lighter side. Caleb gobbles the bacon right up. He always asks for an extra strip while Josh is making the pizza. He is our little Turketarian! 🙂
If you are looking for an easy breakfast recipe, try Josh’s easy English Muffin Breakfast Pizzas! They make a great back to school breakfast or even a great after school snack!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 English Muffins
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 20 mini pepperoni (you can substitute with chopped bacon/ham)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until well mixed. Set a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, pour in eggs. Cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are set, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toast English muffins and spread with butter. Top with chopped tomato, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, and mini pepperoni. Place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat broiler. Place pizzas under hot broiler for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Place pizzas on a plate and sprinkle with green onion. Serve warm.