Delicious, fluffy country style French toast is much easier to make than you think. The key is to use real butter melted on a preheated skillet or griddle. Restaurant style french is usually made with thick sliced “Texas toast”. Most super markets carry brand name Texas toast and is perfect for this recipe. Bakeries can also thick slice your favorite fresh baked bread and that’s a wonderful option as well.
Nothing beats the holidays like homemade breakfast in bed, especially when it is french toast. This french toast recipe is absolutely amazing and pretty much fail proof.
It is so fast to whip together, and makes the home smell like the holidays. Even my pickiest eaters ask me to make this french toast.
And of course I agree, because french toast is practically my second love.
When you dunk the bread into the mixture, you don’t have to let it soak up like a sponge. Rather, dunk the bread so that both sides are generously coated with the egg mixture. Also, when it’s cooking on the skillet, you can use the back of your spatula to gently press down on the center of the bread pieces just to make sure it’s all coming into contact with the heated surface. Sometimes the crust makes more contact so doing this ensures a nice even golden brown on the entire surface of the bread.
When serving french toast add some pats of whipped butter and powdered sugar. And of course, if you have 100% pure maple syrup, I assure it makes all the difference in making this a true country style french toast.
I am a toppings girl, all the way. It’s not breakfast or any dish, if it doesn’t have toppings. I have a lot of favorite french toast toppings, so here are a few of the best:
-Cinnamon and Sugar. I love spreading a little butter on my french toast, than sprinkling it with cinnamon and sugar. You can also spread a little frosting glaze over it as well.
-Fruit and Whipped Cream. This is a French Toast classic. It is also super easy to add to any french toast dish.
-Nutella and Strawberries. Have you ever dipped a strawberry in Nutella? Well prepare to have your life changed. It is delicious, but add it to french toast, and it becomes a dream come true.
-Strawberries, Bananas and Powdered Sugar. This is also a french toast classic, because it is simple, inexpensive, and tastes amazing. All you need is some syrup, and breakfast is served.
- 8 slices Texas toast or other thick sliced bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat a medium skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter to the skillet or griddle and allow to melt.
- While butter is melting, dip bread in the egg mixture, covering both sides.
- Place dipped bread onto skillet with butter and fry on each side until golden and cooked through, usually about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat the dipping and frying for each bread slice
- Serve warm topped with your favorite toppings such as butter, maple syrup, berries or whipped cream.