Pasta is one of my absolute favourite things to eat, and when I made this one, I knew I had to share.
It’s pretty much making a quick white sauce, then blending it with sun dried tomatoes which brings a burst a flavour! Adding chilli flakes gives it some heat, so you add up with a very tasty creamy and spicy sun dried tomato sauce.
As well as being vegan, this pasta recipe is:
made mostly from ingredients that you can keep in your pantry, making it easy for those nights you need to whip up a dinner last minute
quick to make, about 30 minutes (+ however long it takes to cook your pasta)
gluten free if you use gluten free pasta
Garlic Shrimp and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Pasta in Spicy Cream Sauce – a delicious, Italian-inspired seafood pasta recipe. If you want to make something different with shrimp, try this recipe! It’s easy and you’ll love it if you like sun-dried tomatoes.
shrimp pasta, seafood pasta, Italian pasta recipe, shrimp recipes
There is lots of sauce in this seafood pasta. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp (which is easy to do). But even if you do overcook the shrimp, there is so much cream sauce, you won’t even notice if the shrimp does get rubbery. That’s the beauty of this recipe. Garlic Shrimp together with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is smothered in Spicy Creamy Sauce and served over fettuccine pasta. With everything spiced up with basil and crushed red pepper. Italian-inspired comfort food that’s super easy to make!
I used jarred sun dried tomatoes that also had herbs and garlic included. I haven’t tried using sun dried tomatoes that aren’t in oil and without the extra flavourings yet so I’m unsure if this would effect the flavour. If you give it a go, I would love to know how it went in the comments!
To make this gluten free, use your favourite gluten free pasta. I love Explore Cuisine organic chickpea pasta. I found it has a really similar texture to wheat pasta and it’s also a great healthier option.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chipped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, cream, red peppers and crushed red pepper; simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup basil and simmer 1 minute longer; cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite.
- Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to pot.
- Add sauce, cheese and 1/2 cup basil and toss to coat.
- Add enough reserved cooking liquid to pasta to moisten if dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.