These paleo spinach avocado chicken burgers are the ultimate healthy burger. They’re packed with healthy fats, protein, and even hidden veggies. Make them on a weeknight, or serve them at a backyard cookout. They’re paleo, Whole30, and AIP!
This recipe. You guys have been asking for it and I felt bad for not getting it up on the blog sooner. My apologies! I intended to get it up sooner, but then I decided to re-shoot the photos… and then my computer started spazzing out, so that was shipped off this week to get fixed. Happy now that all things are pulling together in favor of these healthy grilled chicken avo burgers (with a little spice!). Thanks for hangin’ in there. Now, let’s head to the kitchen!
Whether you’re on a Whole30, eating paleo, or are just living a healthier lifestyle, chicken is always such a great go-to protein. It’s easy to source, it’s filling, and it’s fairly easy to make. The only problem is that it can get a little bit boring… especially if you’re just having plain chicken breast. I’ve wasted way too many years of my life eating boneless skinless chicken breast only seasoned with salt and pepper to settle for boring chicken anymore! That’s why I’m loving these Whole30 Spinach Avocado Chicken Burgers!
These chicken burgers are perfect for when you’re craving something other than a beef burger and want some more flavor than just straight up chicken breast. These taste great on their own, or you can make a yummy avocado mayo to up the avocado factor. Because, who doesn’t need more avocado, right? The avocado mayo is totally optional, but it’s super easy to make with ingredients that you’ll already have on hand to make these burgers. Plus, you can use it in other recipes as well, like my avocado chicken salad.
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs — use almond meal or roughly ground oatmeal to make gluten free
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce — finely diced*
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce — from the can of chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large ripe avocado — peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch chunks
FOR THE CHIPOTLE YOGURT SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce — from the canned chipotle peppers above, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt — or more to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Optional: lettuce — or spinach, thinly sliced red onion, tomato, prepared salsa, nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium (about 375 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, gently combine the chicken, garlic, breadcrumbs, diced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, salt, pepper, and cilantro until evenly combined. Carefully fold in the avocado. Shape into 4 patties.
- Oil the grill, then cook burgers on each side for about 5 minutes, until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the burgers cook, prepare the chipotle yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, adobo sauce, and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve on top of the burgers, with additional toppings as desired.