Skip the takeout and make this Honey Sesame Chicken instead! It’s LOADED with veggies and is absolutely delicious!
There are recipes that I make that I hope that everyone tries. This is one of those recipes. It all began with my sweet and sour chicken that changed my life. It is actually possible to make the same quality chinese food as P.F. Chang’s at home. Then came a spicy version of this delicious chicken, my firecracker chicken. I had died and gone to chinese food heaven with these recipes. I didn’t think that it could get any better than this. Since I love chinese food so much my life was complete. But then I created honey sesame chicken. Let me tell you this. This is the best of them all!
Asian food, at its core, is generally very healthy. Most times we load it down with rice, egg rolls, crab rangoon and more carb-filled options that end making what was once a fairly healthy meal into a carb-loaded nightmare.
Skip the opportunity to make bad food choices altogether and just make your own Asian food at home! This Honey Sesame Chicken recipe is a favorite in our house and not only is it good, but it’s also good for you! Honey and sugar snap peas keep this recipe sweet like your mouth expects, without the help of refined sugar and added carbs.
It first starts with the breading. The cornstarch and egg combo makes it taste straight from a restaurant. Then there is something about baking this chicken that makes the sauce thicken, the chicken brown and absolutely blow your mind. Seriously I could hardly believe how amazing this was while I was eating it. The sauce has a sweet honey flavor to it and is absolute honey sesame perfection. If you love chinese and make one thing from my blog, make this!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes or long strips
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 garlic minced
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water ice cold
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of salt
Honey Sesame Sauce:
- 1/3 cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk all the “Frying Batter” ingredients together until smooth. Set aside. Drop in the chicken cubes, mix well until they are well coated. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of the “Honey Sesame Sauce” together and set aside.
- Heat up a saute pan and add about 2-inch of oil on medium to high heat. When the oil is fully heated, gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking together. Continue to fry until the color changes to golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of the frying oil in a wok or skillet, stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add in the Honey Sesame Sauce, and bring to a light simmer or until the sauce thickens. Drop in the chicken, stir-fry a few times to combine the sauce and chicken, add the sesame seeds, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice, or Chinese fried rice.