It’s crockpot season! Well it is still in the 80s where I live, but I consider it crockpot season pretty much all year long. When I asked what type of recipes you wanted to see more of on Plaid and Paleo, the resounding answer was crockpot/slow cooker meals! I was so happy to hear this response because I love my crockpot. This Crockpot Sweet and Spicy Chicken is such an easy and delicious recipe! With only a few ingredient this Crockpot Sweet and Spicy Chicken comes together in the crockpot in just a few short hours. I like pairing it with roasted broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
A few weekends ago I took a girls’ trip to Dallas. The last time I was there I ate at HG Sply Co, and I knew I had to eat there again! We started off the meal with the sweet & spicy short rib appetizer. The short ribs were so good with the perfect amount of spice that I ended up ordering the short rib main. This giant short rib was paired with a beet and sweet potato hash along with charred cabbage. Since my last visit, I had been dying to come back and try HG Sply’s signature dessert. It is a giant chocolate kettle bell that is presented at the table then drizzled with hot caramel sauce.
The sauce melts the chocolate to reveal passion fruit cheesecake and almond milk ice cream! I love HG Sply Co because they are very accommodating to different dietary needs and paleo friendly. My other favorite meal was brunch at Origins Kitchen + Bar. I absolutely loved this place! I started my meal off with a bulletproof coffee. I ordered the seasonal hash bowl which was filled with bacon, sweet potato, pear, currents, cranberries, toasted pumpkin seeds and topped with two perfectly poached eggs. So good! I also ordered the paleo pancake which was okay but totally upstaged by the hash bowl. Until next time, I will be dreaming about all the yummy food I ate in Dallas!
This simple recipe for Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken combines sweet and sour sauce, barbecue sauce, and chicken in a five ingredient recipe with a fabulous flavor. The chicken becomes meltingly tender when cooked in a slow cooker.
You can add any other vegetable to this recipe; I added a chopped green bell pepper the last time I made it. A combination of different colored peppers would be wonderful in this dish. Sliced carrots, zucchini, or any Asian vegetable would be delicious too. The nice thing about cooking recipes like this one is that they are very tolerant. That means you can change things around and the recipe will still work. But be careful to follow the proportions of the basic recipe. If you add a lot of other ingredients, you’ll need to increase the sauce amounts too.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Add chicken, chopped red peppers, and pineapple to a greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sauce ingredients except for the 4 tablespoons cold water + 3 tablespoons corn starch. Pour sauce into the slow cooker and give everything a stir. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, take the lid off of the slow cooker. In a small bowl whisk together the remaining cold water and corn starch. Set the slow cooker on high (if it isn’t already) and pour the corn starch slurry into the pot, stir, then cover and cook another 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Stir just before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice or fried rice if desired. (Click [url:1]HERE[/url] for my favorite easy homemade fried rice recipe)