One of my absolute favorite low-carb meals is cheesy cauliflower breadsticks. They are super simple to make, taste delicious and are really healthy. I’ve made them into cakes, pizza crusts, and breadsticks, and all versions of the cauliflower-based crust worked out really well. I was challenged to try creating my stand-by recipe with the new Green Giant riced veggies, specifically the cauliflower and sweet potato mix.
I was excited by this challenge for two reasons. First, I actually love sweet potatoes and I had a feeling the slight sweetness would work great in my recipe. Second, Green Giant just made my life a whole lot easier by pre-ricing my cauliflower! Although it is not hard to make my own riced cauliflower, it is rather time-consuming and messy.
I was super excited to find out Green Giant is now making three different types of riced veggies. Plus, they are made 100% with vegetables, they have 70% fewer calories than rice and they are gluten free and come without sauce so you can season them just the way you like. I can’t even get over how much time and effort it saves to just have the riced veggies on hand to make my favorite go-to cauliflower breadsticks. You can find them in the Walmart frozen vegetable aisle.
Low carb cauliflower cheese bread that is an alternative to traditional breadsticks. These cauliflower breadsticks are gluten free, flavorful, cheesy and with easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Yes, this recipe is foolproof, just like my super popular cauliflower pizza crust.
Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
I won’t lie and warn you that cauliflower breadsticks recipe is time consuming. That is why I highly suggest to double the recipe. But these cauliflower cheese sticks will come out right. You will be able to pick them up by hand. I know you are wondering about that – the answer is “YES”.
- 4 cups cauliflower riced, about 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese I used a Tex Mex blend
- 3 tsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or more, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Prepare 2 pizza dishes or a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure your cauliflower is roughly chopped in florets. Add the florets to your food processor and pulse until cauliflower resembles rice.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwavable container and cover with lid. Microwave for 10 minutes. Let the cauliflower cool just until there’s no more steam coming from it. Place the microwaved cauliflower in a large bowl and add the eggs, 2 cups of mozzarella, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Separate the mixture in two and place each half onto the prepared baking sheets and shape into either a pizza crust, or a rectangular shape for the breadsticks.
- Bake the crust (no topping yet) for about 25 minutes or until nice and golden. Don’t be afraid the crust is not soggy at all. Once golden, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Slice and serve.
- Watch How To Make It
- If you do not have a microwave, I’d recommend cooking the cauliflower first either in your oven or on the stovetop and then ricing it. Easiest would be to steam it and then ricing it.
- The cauliflower should not be soggy at all after microwaving it. If however, you find that it is soggy, place it on a few paper towels and squeeze the water out of it.
- Nutritional information based on 1 cup mozzarella cheese for topping. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- The crust can be frozen, already baked, and just thaw it out on the counter or microwave. Or add the cheese and place it back in the oven and bake it for a few minutes until the cheese melts and browns.