Crispy baked cauliflower bites are drizzled with a healthier, nearly fat free version of Bang Bang sauce. It’s just as tasty but without all the guilt!
So my love affair for Bang Bang sauce has not diminished. I’ve been experimenting with putting it on just about everything. And then, I decided to play around with the sauce itself. When I posted my Bang Bang Pasta, a reader “MChew” left a comment inquiring if there would be a way to make the recipe a little healthier, like with Greek yogurt. So I tested it out.
This super delicious Bang Bang Cauliflower is baked rather than fried for a skinny take on this famous recipe. The tasty sauce is sweet, spicy and a little smoky thanks to a special Korean ingredient.
Is there anything cauliflower can’t do or be? I swear you can take any recipe and swap the main ingredient with cauliflower and it will turn out. It’s genius.
Normally this recipe would be made with deep-fried shrimp. Now, I’m not going to sit here and try and convince you that cauliflower tastes just like shrimp. It doesn’t. Not at all. End of story.
But let’s be honest, bang bang shrimp is really all about the sauce, and the shrimp are there only to help you get more of the sauce in your mouth. AmIRight?
Bang bang cauliflower runs on the same concept … the cauliflower’s role is to act as a vehicle for the sauce. That’s it. That’s all. And because of all the little nooks and crannies in the cauliflower, it does a damn good job of capturing lots of sauce.
Let’s talk about this sauce …
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into bite sized florets/pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- skinny bang bang sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs together. In another small bowl, put in panko bread crumbs.
- Dip cauliflower pieces into egg and then roll in panko until covered. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until browned.
- Make the bang bang sauce while cauliflower is cooking. Use as a dipping sauce or cover the cauliflower pieces once out of the oven. Serve hot.