I had to call my mother about these and let her know the sad/wonderful news. These banana cupcakes are actually better than… um, my grandmother’s. I know, that’s QUITE a statement to make – and honestly, not one I can say lightly. But it’s TRUE!
I made these while cooking dinner, actually – they’re that easy.
Are you convinced yet? I also got both of my kids to get dressed all the way to shoes (the little dude needed some assistance), and to pick up toys… on the promise of a cupcake. At 6:30am. I’m only a little bit ashamed, because had they been scheduled to spend the day with ME, I’d have insisted on cereal and fruit, but they were off to daycare, so…. where do I collect my “Mother of the Year” award??
Banana Cupcakes, light, moist cupcakes topped with THE BEST brown sugar frosting.
These banana cupcakes will become your go-to recipe, guaranteed!
If you are looking for a knock-out banana cupcake recipe you have come to the right blog!
The banana cupcake recipe itself is like an amped up extra light but still seriously moist banana bread. But let’s not forget another winner here is the brown sugar frosting.
The cupcakes are soft and fluffy, not too dense, not at all dry – and perfect with or without the frosting. Oh, but the brown sugar buttercream frosting? Ohhhhhh yes. I TOTALLY RECOMMEND it. So worth it. It’s actually a little strange, when reading it – I was like, huh? Really? But, I promise. It works, and it’s amazing. It takes a little time to get the texture right, but when it is the consistency of whipped cream – you know you have it perfect. I’d never made frosting using flour before (I must have been living under a rock, apparently it’s common – who knew?)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup Silk unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the brown sugar buttercream
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Silk unsweetened cashew milk (optionla)
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric beater to beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl, cream together the coconut oil and sugar until it resembles fine, wet sand. Beat in the egg yolk. Stir in the bananas, cashew milk, and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients to make a thick batter; gently fold in the whipped egg white.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are gently domed and light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- While the cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting: Use an electric mixer to beat the shortening until it’s light and creamy. Add the sugars and vanilla and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. If desired, beat in up to two teaspoons of cashew milk to thin out the frosting.
- Frost cupcakes after they’ve completely cooled.