Healthy Banana Muffins are moist, fluffy, and so sweet! A handful of chocolate chips makes them a little indulgent, without going overboard. Made with honey, whole wheat flour, and protein packed Greek yogurt, these are perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. This is a great recipe you’ll want to use over and over again!
Way back when, in a land far, far away, I posted this Banana Nut Muffins recipe.
And it was truly amazing – it even became one of the most popular posts on this blog and has been pinned a TON of times on Pinterest, and shared all across them interwebs.
Mashing ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl using a fork in order to make the healthy banana chocolate chip muffins.Bowl with the fully mashed bananas, ready for the rest of the ingredients to be added to make the healthy chocolate chip banana muffins.
I think the reason why my Easy Banana Nut Muffins recipe was so successful is because it is so super duper easy and virtually fail-proof. I mean – it’s one bowl of stuff you mix together, and then bake. And the result is delicious.
So many times over the years, though, you guys have asked me to share a new recipe that included chocolate chips. Because bananas and chocolate chips NEED to be in muffin form, peeps. It’s like a rule, I’m told. 😉
Last week I asked you what kind of recipes you’d like to see more of in 2019 and while I received a variety of requests, the most common response was for “healthier baking recipes”. I actually love baking healthier treats, so I was thrilled to see you wanted more of them. I’ll be posting one healthy baking recipe each month! And we’re kicking things off with these healthy banana and chocolate chip muffin recipe! They’re bakery-style muffins that are moist, sweet, and have perfectly domed lids. I tested the recipe last week and was thrilled they turned out great on my first try! I’ve made them 6 times since then because they’re THAT good.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon olive or melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until well combined, smooth and creamy. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, sprinkle each muffin with a few more chocolate chips and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins are best served warm and even better the next day. Makes 12 muffins.
- If you want to make the muffins a bit smaller, you can make 15 instead of 12 and each muffin will be around 136 calories. You’ll also need to reduce baking time a bit, as muffins will bake faster since they’re smaller.
- Muffins are freezer friendly! Simply place in ziplock bag or airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. When ready to eat, microwave for 30-45 seconds or thaw out.